SMC (‘’ the Company’’) provide independent consultancy, management, supervision, and workforce solutions across the Renewables, Oil & Gas, Utilities and Marine sectors.
The commitment to, and objective of the Company is to promote safe working practices in offshore and office-based services, and to provide a safe working environment for all concerned. It is therefore the policy of the Company to conduct its operations in such a manner as to secure health and safety for its employees/contractors, clients and to protect members of the public who may be affected.
It is the responsibility of the Company, through its employees and contractors to provide and maintain measures which will ensure that every employee/contractor can carry out their duties in a safe environment without risk to health. Equally it is the duty of each employee/contractor to co-operate with the management regarding health and safety matters. The Company expects each employee/contractor to take reasonable care for their own safety and those of others who may be affected by their acts or omissions, to prevent accidents and avoid hazards to health.
The Health & Safety Policy and accompanying organisational arrangements, will contribute to the Company’s overall ability to fulfil its role, by reducing injuries and ill health at work, both to employees/contractors and to any other persons who may be affected by their employees/contractors acts or omissions. These measures will protect the environment and reduce unnecessary losses and liabilities.
The OHSAS 18001 Safety Management System is the primary means by which we will systematically monitor and record the efficient operation and services we operate with a safe system of work to anticipate, avoid and eliminate hazards.
To achieve this, the Company will:
- Provide adequate control of the health and safety risks arising from our work activities;
- Consult with our employees/contractors on matters affecting their health and safety;
- Provide and maintain safe plant and equipment;
- Ensure safe handling and use of substances;
- Provide information, instruction and supervision for employees and contractors;
- Ensure all employees and contractors are competent to do their tasks and give them adequate training;
- To prevent accidents and cases of work-related ill health;
- Maintain safe and healthy working conditions;
- Review and revise this policy as necessary at regular intervals.
Designated Health & Safety Person’s Duties:
- To ensure that all the Company Directors, Supervisors and Staff are aware of their individual Health and Safety responsibilities;
- To initiate and/or recommend any changes, developments and amendments to the policy as and when necessary;
- To inform the Health and Safety Executive of all notifiable accidents. Investigate any accidents or dangerous occurrences and recommend means of preventing re-occurrence;
- To arrange appropriate training for all employees;
- To create and maintain a Training Matrix for all staff;
- To ensure that Risk Assessments (including where appropriate, COSHH, Noise, Manual Handling etc) are carried out as needed;
- To ensure follow up action as needed;
- To promote an interest and responsible attitude towards Health and Safety matters throughout the Company.
This policy has been approved & authorised by:
Name: Capt. Ian Coates
Position: Managing Director
Date: August 2018